Bernard Pollard fined for hit on Wes Welker
|01.25.13 at 4:32 pm ET|
According to the NFL, Ravens safety Bernard Pollard has been fined $15,250 for his third-quarter hit on Patriots’ wide receiver Wes Welker during Baltimore’s win over the Pats in the AFC Championship Game.
Earlier in the day, Pollard had told reporters he wasn’t fined for any of the hits he delivered in last Sunday’s AFC title game against the Patriots.
The controversial defensive back, who has been responsible for tackles that have injured quarterback Tom Brady and tight end Rob Gronkowski in the past, delivered a nasty shot to the head of New England running back Stevan Ridley in the fourth quarter, one that sidelined Ridley for the rest of the game.
After the game, Pollard explained the hit on Ridley, saying it was just part of the game.
‘He got loose and for me as a safety, and for us as safeties, our job is to take down a guy,” he said. “If you get to our level we have to hit you and I got a chance to kind of unload. In the moment we’re competitive, but right now, we have to hope he’s OK.’
For more Patriots news, check out weei.com/patriots.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...
- 10 NFL Combine Participants New England Patriots Fans Should Know
- Devin McCourty Comments on Decision to Skip White House Visit with Donald...