Bernard Pollard fined for hit on Wes Welker
|01.25.13 at 4:32 pm ET|
According to the NFL, Ravens safety Bernard Pollard has been fined $15,250 for his third-quarter hit on Patriots’ wide receiver Wes Welker during Baltimore’s win over the Pats in the AFC Championship Game.
Earlier in the day, Pollard had told reporters he wasn’t fined for any of the hits he delivered in last Sunday’s AFC title game against the Patriots.
The controversial defensive back, who has been responsible for tackles that have injured quarterback Tom Brady and tight end Rob Gronkowski in the past, delivered a nasty shot to the head of New England running back Stevan Ridley in the fourth quarter, one that sidelined Ridley for the rest of the game.
After the game, Pollard explained the hit on Ridley, saying it was just part of the game.
‘He got loose and for me as a safety, and for us as safeties, our job is to take down a guy,” he said. “If you get to our level we have to hit you and I got a chance to kind of unload. In the moment we’re competitive, but right now, we have to hope he’s OK.’
For more Patriots news, check out weei.com/patriots.
2016 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2016 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Position Battles to Watch in Patriots Training Camp
- Does Brissett Have a Chance to Be Patriots Week 1 Starter?
- Brady Is Under Too Much Pressure, and It Could Crush Pats Dynasty
- Most Prominent Patriots on the Roster Bubble
- Report: Lombardi Leaving Pats Front Office
- What Could Ninkovich's Position Change Mean for Patriots Defense?
- Who Were Patriots Minicamp Stars