Former Patriots coach Bill Parcells elected to Pro Football Hall of Fame
|02.02.13 at 6:17 pm ET|
Former Patriots coach Bill Parcells, who coached New England for four seasons in the mid-1990s and helped change the culture around Foxboro, reached the Pro Football Hall of Fame on Saturday, as he was one of seven who received enough votes for enshrinement in Canton.
“This is tremendous,” Parcells told the NFL Network shortly after the announcement was made. “It’s just unbelievable. It’s just exhilarating. It’s just a great thrill to join such an elite group.”
Parcells, left tackle Jonathan Ogden, wide receiver Cris Carter, offensive lineman Larry Allen, defensive tackle Warren Sapp, defensive tackle Curley Culp and linebacker Dave Robinson will be part of the group that is inducted into the Hall this summer, it was announced.
Parcells served as the head coach of the Patriots from 1993 until 1996, and along with quarterback Drew Bledsoe, helped turn the franchise from a 2-14 team to AFC champions in four seasons. Parcells, who had a coaching mark of 32-32 with New England, left town on less than great terms, as he feuded with owner Robert Kraft on the way out the door. But his impact on the team is undeniable. The coach and the quarterback combined to help make the franchise relevant on the NFL landscape and jumpstart an (almost) unabated run of success that continues to this day.
Parcells also served as the head coach of the Giants (1981-1990), Jets (1997-1999) and Cowboys (2003-2006), and also worked as an executive with the Jets and Dolphins. The 71-year-old, the only head coach in NFL history to take 4 different franchises to the postseason, won a pair of Super Bowls with the Giants, and ended up with a career coaching mark of 172-130-1.
For more Patriots news, check out weei.com/patriots.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Says He Hopes Martellus Bennett 'Breaks the Bank' in Free...
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...