Robert Kraft worries lawyers, agents could ‘mess up’ any new deal for Wes Welker
|02.02.13 at 12:33 pm ET|
Patriots owner Robert Kraft took a veiled shot at Wes Welker‘s representation on Friday, saying that lawyers and agents could “mess up” any new potential deal for the wide receiver.
Speaking with CSNNE in New Orleans, Kraft praised Welker — who is set to become an unrestricted free agent — but also offered a note of caution.
“I’d love him to be around, he’s a great guy,” Kraft said of Welker. “Like I said all along, it takes two sides to make a transaction and then we have to manage the lawyers and the agents that they don’t mess it up. I think Wes wants to be with us and we want him here so it’s just a matter of whether both sides can be intelligent.”
Welker, who played under the franchise tag last season, finished the year with 118 catches, 1,354 yards and six touchdowns. The 31-year-old has spent his last six seasons with the Patriots.
For more Patriots news, check out weei.com/patriots.
2016 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2016 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Are Explanations for Patriots' Failure to Address Hole at RB?
- Patriots: Way-Too-Early 53-Man Roster and Depth Chart Predictions
- Kraft Comments on Brady's Deflategate Suspension Being Upheld
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 3 Predictions
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 2 Predictions
- Patriots Draft Picks: Results, Analysis and Grades
- Why the 1st Round of the 2016 NFL Draft Still Matters to Patriots