Chip Kelly: Bill Belichick ‘one of the iconic coaches’ in this profession
|02.21.13 at 3:26 pm ET|
INDIANAPOLIS — The two fastest offenses on the field this season were Oregon and the Patriots, and so it’s no surprise that former Ducks coach Chip Kelly — who was recently hired as head coach of the Eagles — would be linked to Bill Belichick.
On Thursday at the scouting combine, Kelly called Belichick an “iconic” coach, and said he had plenty of chances to talk with Belichick while he was working as a college coach. Part of that was because of Kelly’s local ties — he is a New Hampshire native who went to UNH and coached there as late as 2006.
But another part of it was just made good sense.
“I know coach Belichick — I’m from New England, and so I spent a lot of time going down as a coach when they opened up practice for college coaches to come down and visit and talk with them, and I’ve always asked them questions,” Kelly said. “But I didn’t talk to coach about coming to the NFL. I didn’t talk to coach about what to expect in my first season. It’s … he’s one of the iconic coaches in this profession, and obviously, his record speak for itself. When you’re around people like that, you do a lot more listening than you do talking.”
At the same time, Kelly made it clear that he’s been able to pick up a variety of different things from different coaches over the course of his career.
“I don’t know — I think we’re all byproducts of our experiences,” Kelly said. “Whether your visiting coach Belichick, or I went to OTAs with Joe Philbin las year. I went with Chan Gailey in Buffalo. I’ve been to see Jim Harbaugh at the 49ers. I’ve been to see Pete Carroll in Seattle. All those guys have been gracious to let me come watch practice. Obviously, I’ve learned things from watching other teams practices, but there’s not one I’ll rely on more than another.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Position-by-Position Breakdown of New England Patriots' Top Combine...
- Rob Gronkowski Says He Hopes Martellus Bennett 'Breaks the Bank' in Free...
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible