Vikings GM Rick Spielman: ‘We have no intent to trade Percy Harvin’
|02.21.13 at 1:09 pm ET|
INDIANAPOLIS — Vikings GM Rick Spielman said Thursday that despite recent rumors, Minnesota has “no intent” of trading wide receiver Percy Harvin.
Harvin, entering the final year of a five-year deal he signed as a rookie, has apparently made noise about a new deal, one in the neighborhood of roughly $10 million annually.
“As I stated earlier, we have no intent to trade Percy Harvin,” Spielman said Thursday afternoon. “Anything related to his contract or any discussions, will all be kept internally. I think everybody understands what type of player Percy Harvin is. He’s a dynamic playmaker; not only on offense, but the things he can do at different positions. But also what he brings us as a kickoff returner.”
When healthy, Harvin has been one of the best young slot receivers in the game. The all-purpose threat has managed 280 catches in his first four years in the league while working mostly in the slot. He also has a tremendous impact on the ground (he has 107 carries for 683 yards in four years), as well as on special teams.
Locally, his name has been floated as a possible replacement for Wes Welker in New England if the Patriots fail to reach an accord with Welker on a new deal. There is some history between Harvin and the Patriots — it’s believed New England was interested in the Florida product in the days before the 2009 draft.
For more Patriots news, check out weei.com/patriots.
2016 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2016 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Patriots: Way-Too-Early 53-Man Roster and Depth Chart Predictions
- Kraft Comments on Brady's Deflategate Suspension Being Upheld
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 3 Predictions
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 2 Predictions
- Patriots Draft Picks: Results, Analysis and Grades
- Why the 1st Round of the 2016 NFL Draft Still Matters to Patriots
- Patriots Last-Minute 7-Round Mock Draft and Top-100 Big Board