Highlights and impressions from Friday at the combine
|02.22.13 at 7:30 pm ET|
INDIANAPOLIS — The second day of the combine wrapped up Friday evening. Here are some of the highlights:
– A pair of West Virginia speakers met with the media. Tavon Austin (who is obsessed with Wes Welker) is the name that Pats fans want to hear called in the first round, but why not take his more productive teammate later in the draft in Stedman Bailey?
– Speaking of wide receivers, Da’Rick Rogers is a really interesting prospect. Talent and size-wise, he’s been compared to Julio Jones, but he had to transfer from Tennessee after testing positive for marijuana for a third straight year. He was honest with the media Friday, and he might be worth the risk in the third round if he’s available.
– The Patriots met with Virginia tackle Oday Aboushi on Friday. Aboushi originally committed to Boston College but decommitted after Jeff Jagozinsky was fired.
– Many of the quarterbacks in this rather shallow QB class spoke Friday, with Geno Smith, Matt Barkley, Ryan Nassib and Landry Jones among those to talk.
‘It’s definitely a wide-open year,’ Jones said. ‘There’s a lot of guys with a lot of talent. The further we get into this process, I think there’s going to be a guy that’s going to be coming up, and there’s going to be somebody that puts himself ahead, and I think it’s the guy that’s going to work the hardest and the guy who wants it more.”
– Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te’o is set to meet with the media Saturday. That should be interesting.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Pats' 13th Straight Season With 10+ Wins
- Patriots vs. Broncos: Betting Odds, Analysis, NFL Pick
- Amendola, LaFell, White's Post-Week 11 Fantasy Advice
- Once Again, the Patriots Find a Way to Stay Perfect
- White Has Potential to Fill Patriots' 3rd-Down Role
- Latest on Danny Amendola's Knee Injury
- Pats' 'Next Man Up' Philosophy Faces Tough Challenge