Landry Jones: ‘Definitely a wide-open year’ at quarterback
|02.22.13 at 11:28 am ET|
INDIANAPOLIS — The top quarterback in the NFL draft is in town this week, but nobody’s quite sure as to who that is.
Right now, you’d think it would be West Virginia’s Geno Smith, followed by a bunch of other guys who fit into the second or third-round (at best) mix. It’s not a strong year at quarterback, and there’s still uncertainty as to who’s at the head of the pack.
Guys like Tyler Wilson (Arkansas), Mike Glennon (NC State), Ryan Nassib (Syracuse), Matt Barkley (USC) and Landry Jones (Oklahoma) figure to fit into the equation, but not as first-round picks — at least not right now. Jones was the first of the group to speak Friday and acknowledged as much.
“It’s definitely a wide-open year,” he said. “There’s a lot of guys with a lot of talent. The further we get into this process, I think there’s going to be a guy that’s going to be coming up, and there’s going to be somebody that puts himself ahead, and I think it’s the guy that’s going to work the hardest and the guy who wants it more.
“I think for me, is handling what I can control,” he added. “I can’t control what Geno or Mike or any of those other guys do. I can just control what I do, so I’m going to work as hard as I can and do my best.”
The Oklahoma product measured in this week at 6-foot-4 and 225 pounds. As a senior, he threw for 4,267 yards with 30 touchdowns and 11 picks.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Josh McDaniels to Return as Patriots OC: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Patriots Picked Perfect Time to Play Imperfect Football in Win over...
- Dion Lewis vs. Texans: Stats, Highlights and Reaction
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- In Better Shape Than Ever at Age 39: Here's How Tom Brady Does It
- NFL1000: Why New England's Defense Can Carry Belichick to Another Super...
- Patriots vs. Dolphins: Full Report Card Grades for New England