|Landry Jones: ‘Definitely a wide-open year’ at quarterback||02.22.13 at 11:28 am ET|
INDIANAPOLIS — The top quarterback in the NFL draft is in town this week, but nobody’s quite sure as to who that is.
Right now, you’d think it would be West Virginia’s Geno Smith, followed by a bunch of other guys who fit into the second or third-round (at best) mix. It’s not a strong year at quarterback, and there’s still uncertainty as to who’s at the head of the pack.
Guys like Tyler Wilson (Arkansas), Mike Glennon (NC State), Ryan Nassib (Syracuse), Matt Barkley (USC) and Landry Jones (Oklahoma) figure to fit into the equation, but not as first-round picks — at least not right now. Jones was the first of the group to speak Friday and acknowledged as much.
“It’s definitely a wide-open year,” he said. “There’s a lot of guys with a lot of talent. The further we get into this process, I think there’s going to be a guy that’s going to be coming up, and there’s going to be somebody that puts himself ahead, and I think it’s the guy that’s going to work the hardest and the guy who wants it more.
“I think for me, is handling what I can control,” he added. “I can’t control what Geno or Mike or any of those other guys do. I can just control what I do, so I’m going to work as hard as I can and do my best.”
The Oklahoma product measured in this week at 6-foot-4 and 225 pounds. As a senior, he threw for 4,267 yards with 30 touchdowns and 11 picks.
2013 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2013 NFL DRAFT
- Dwight Freeney Signs With Chargers; Pats Showed 'Last Minute Interest'
- USA Today: Gronkowski Dealing With Back Issue, Could Face (Another)...
- Patriots Sign Second-Round Pick Jamie Collins
- New England Patriots Links 5/17/13 - Hightower Understands Work Ethic...
- Rapoport: Gronkowski Forearm Surgery 'Imminent'; Likely To Be Monday
- Kyle Love Claimed By Jaguars; Joins Brandon Deaderick
- On Kyle Love