Tavon Austin is obsessed with Wes Welker
|02.22.13 at 11:58 am ET|
INDIANAPOLIS — West Virginia receiver Tavon Austin is one of the names you’re join to hear thrown around as a potential replacement for Wes Welker. As it turns out, Austin really, really likes Welker.
The two have both played under coach Dana Holgorsen, Welker’s receivers coach at Texas Tech and Austin’s head coach at West Virginia. Austin, who grew up a fan of the Ravens and the Patriots, said Welker is the slot receiver he most looks up to.
“Wes Welker, that’s the No. 1 guy,” he said. “I see how Wes does it, I watch a lot of tape of him, and I think I move a little quicker and faster than Wes, so if he can do it, I know I can do it too.”
He was also asked a question about Percy Harvin, to which he gave an answer about how much he wants to play like Welker thanks to the teachings of Holgorsen.
Austin figures to be a first-round pick. The 5-foot-8, 174-pounder hopes to run somewhere in the 4.2 range in the 40-yard dash and said he’s been timed as low as 4.29. As a senior, Austin had 114 receptions (tied with Stedman Bailey for the team lead) for 1,289 yards and 12 touchdowns.
Welker is set to be a free agent, and it’s unknown whether the Pats will bring him back or look for his replacement in the draft. Should it be the latter, Austin is an option, but keep an eye on Bailey as well.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Tom Brady Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Knee and Return
- Alan Branch Wins Suspension Appeal: Latest Details and Reaction
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?
- Rob Gronkowski Injury Update: TE Reportedly Will Miss 8 Weeks with Back...
- Marcus Cannon, Patriots Agree to New Contract: Latest Details and...
- Tom Brady Became 5th QB in NFL History to Throw for at Least 60,000 Yards
- Patriots vs. Jets: Full Report Card Grades for New England