Will Alec Ogletree’s DUI make him the rare inside linebacker to slide on draft day?
|02.23.13 at 4:14 pm ET|
INDIANAPOLIS — Georgia’s Alec Ogletree could have been the star inside linebacker in this draft without any major character concerns, but that changed earlier this month.
Ogeltree joined Manti Te’o as a star middle backer with off-the-field concerns when he was arrested for DUI in Arizona. Now, he has more to answer in Indianapolis than what he’ll bring to a football team.
“I hate that it happened,” Ogletree said of his arrest, which couldn’t have come at a worse time.
Now, it’s natural to wonder just how much it will hurt his draft stock. Ogletree still figures to be a first-round pick, and at the very least his situation is more black and white than the complex hoax that surrounds Te’o.
“I don’t really know what it’s going to [mean on draft day], but I feel bad about it,” Ogletree said. “I’m really sorry about it, but I just have to move forward and take whatever I can get.”
On the field, Ogletree had a first-round grade for a reason. A former safety turned linebacker, he moves well and can cover better than your average inside backer. He’s also dangerous as a pass-rusher, so he could be an asset in a league that’s seeing more and more spread offenses.
“I feel very comfortable with my skills,” he said. “I think I’m very versatile. I can cover and come up [vs. the] run and just fill the gaps.”
Ogletree, who measured in at 6-foot-3 and 242 pounds at the combine, has the quickness and the ability in coverage to be an every-down player at inside linebacker. Normally, star inside linebackers don’t fall very far at all in the draft, but he’ll have to prove to teams that he’s got a good head on his shoulders in order for that to happen.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...
- 10 NFL Combine Participants New England Patriots Fans Should Know