NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Missouri DT Sheldon Richardson
|03.01.13 at 4:27 pm ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that might be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2013 NFL draft. Here is one is a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Position: Defensive tackle
Weight: 295 pounds
Achievements: All-SEC first team (media), first-ever All-SEC designee from Mizzou, led all SEC interior linemen with 75 tackles
What he brings: Richardson is described as agile for his size, and his athleticism combined with his length have impressed scouts. His first step off the snap is quick, and he’s been praised for his ability to adjust to different screening and blocking plays. He’s proven his strengths as a defensive player in pursuit, but some are concerned about his ability to bring down ball-carriers in space and produce sacks. There also are some concerns about injuries, as he had shoulder surgery after the 2011 season and redshirted the 2010 season due to a wrist injury. He played in junior college instead of going straight to Missouri for academic reasons and was suspended for a game during the 2012 season for a violation of team rules, believed to be academic.
Where the Patriots could get him: Round 1
Notes: After playing at the College of the Sequoias in California and establishing himself as one of the top junior college prospects in the nation, Richardson decided to return to his native Missouri, choosing Mizzou over more prominent programs, including USC, Miami and other SEC schools.
Related articles: St. Louis Post-Dispatch: NFL is next stop for Sheldon Richardson
Video: Here’s Richardson against South Carolina in 2012.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Aaron Hernandez May Be Cleared in Double-Murder Trial Due to Deleted Text
- Robert Kraft Comments on Tom Brady's Super Bowl Jersey Being Returned
- President Donald Trump to Host Patriots at White House on April 19
- Darrelle Revis Reportedly Expected to Return to Patriots If He Plays Next...
- Biggest Needs New England Patriots Have Yet to Address This Offseason
- Super Bowl 49 Champion Bryan Stork Retires from NFL at 26 Years Old
- Tom Brady Super Bowl 51 Jersey Theft Timeline Revealed on Video