NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Georgia CB Sanders Commings
|03.02.13 at 8:35 am ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that might be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2013 NFL draft. Here is one is a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Weight: 216 pounds
Achievements: Preseason All-SEC third team (coaches)
What he brings: Commings has good size and agility. As a former outfielder who was drafted by the Arizona Diamondbacks (37th round, 2008), Commings also has great hands, helping him force turnovers and pass deflections. He is very physical with receivers and is a good special teams player. He has a lean, athletic upper body and loose hips. Commings sneaks peeks at the quarterback throughout the route and has good body control to turn quickly, locate the football and make a play on it. He is good at fighting through blocks to keep his containment responsibilities and make tackles.
Where the Patriots could get him: Round 3 or later
Notes: In 2011, Commings started all 14 games, making 55 tackles and recording a forced fumble, a fumble recovery and an interception. He had 51 tackles and three interceptions in 12 games in 2012. He missed the first two games of his senior season in 2012 due to a suspension, resulting from a domestic violence charge.
Related Articles: AJC.com: Sanders Commings arrested for domestic violence charge
Athens Banner-Herald: Sanders Commings has big SEC championship game vs. Alabama
Video: Here’s a good look at Commings in action vs. Alabama in 2012.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Garoppolo Comments on Opportunity to Start for Patriots
- Dion Lewis Injury: Updates on Patriots RB's Recovery from Surgery
- Should Patriots Give Brissett Chance to Start Week 1?
- Robert Kraft Releases Statement on Brady Not Continuing Deflategate...
- Tom Brady Accepts Deflategate Suspension, Won't Appeal to Supreme Court
- Excited by Absence of Brady, Pats' Rivals Likely to Be Disappointed Again
- Simmons Accuses Stephen A. of Blasting Brady for the NFL