|NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Florida DE Sharrif Floyd||03.04.13 at 9:27 am ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that might be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2013 NFL draft. Here is one is a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Position: Defensive end
Weight: 303 pounds
Achievements: 2012 All-America third team, 2012 All-SEC Defense first team (AP, coaches)
What he brings: Floyd has a strong, powerful build and has impressed scouts with explosive quickness off the snap. Many have noted that he uses his hands well to defend against blockers. CBS Sports notes that sometimes he gets too invested in battles with offensive linemen and becomes distracted from the play, but overall, Floyd is seen as an impressive talent who improved continually in each of his three years at Florida.
Where the Patriots could get him: Round 1 (likely via a trade to move up)
Notes: Floyd is one of the most highly regarded defensive players in the draft, and he’d need a late slide to fall to the Patriots in the first round, especially after his solid performance at the NFL combine. In 37 games and 26 starts at Florida, he made 115 tackles, 26 for a loss, and 4.5 sacks and was part of one of the nation’s best defenses last season.
Related articles: CSN Philadelphia: Philly native Sharrif Floyd a potential Top-5 pick
Video: Here’s a look at Floyd in action against Florida State last season.
2013 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2013 NFL DRAFT
- Jason Vega Speaks With the Pulpit
- Rob Gronkowski Undergoes Successful Forearm Surgery
- Patriots Sign WR Mark Harrison, K David Ruffer; Fill Roster
- Brandon Spikes Absent From Patriots OTAs
- New England Patriots Links 5/20/13 - Brady Better Than Ever; OTAs Begin
- Dwight Freeney Signs With Chargers; Pats Showed 'Last Minute Interest'
- USA Today: Gronkowski Dealing With Back Issue, Could Face (Another)...