NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Florida State DE Cornellius Carradine
|03.04.13 at 5:53 pm ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that might be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2013 NFL draft. Here is one is a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Position: Defensive end
School: Florida State
Weight: 276 pounds
Achievements: 2012 All-America honorable mention (Sports Illustrated), 2012 All-ACC first team (media, coaches), 2012 Ted Hendricks Award finalist, Rated top junior college prospect in the country at Butler Community College before transferring to Florida State in 2011
What he brings: Nicknamed “Tank,” Carradine is described as explosive off the snap, and his strength and hustle have drawn praise from many observers. He didn’t start at Florida State in 2011 (although he still had 38 tackles on the year) and he tore his ACL in November 2012, so he doesn’t have the same amount of experience against elite competition that many of his contemporaries do. Scouts mostly agree that his athleticism, quick hands and strength can overcome that issue. However, lingering concerns about his knee, which held him out of the Senior Bowl, could hurt his status on draft day.
Where the Patriots could get him: Rounds 1-3
Notes: The status of Carradine’s knee could determine whether he winds up being selected in the first or second round of the draft. He had 11 sacks and 13 tackles for a loss through the first 12 games of 2012. Carradine originally signed with Illinois out of high school, but had to start out at Butler Community College instead for academic reasons.
Related articles: ESPN: Florida State Seminoles’ Tank Carradine out with torn ACL
Video: Here’s a look at Carradine vs. Miami last season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Joe Mixon Reportedly Removed from Patriots' Draft Board Due to Assault...
- Roger Goodell to Attend Patriots Home Opener, 1st Foxboro Trip Since...
- Robert Kraft 'Would Love' for Darrelle Revis to Return to Patriots
- Ideal Second-Round Fits for New England Patriots in 2017 NFL Draft
- Robert Kraft Discusses Restricted Free-Agent Malcolm Butler's Contract...
- Tom Brady Told Robert Kraft He'd Like to Play 6-7 More NFL Seasons
- Aaron Hernandez May Be Cleared in Double-Murder Trial Due to Deleted Text