Bill Polian: Lots to consider when it comes to shelling out top money for elite slot receivers
|03.05.13 at 5:52 pm ET|
We have already written about how this is a key offseason for slot receivers, as many of them are either pending free agents or close to free agency and as a result, teams that have a top-level slot receiver across the league are looking at the Wes Welker situation as a potential contract that will set the bar for other elite slot guys like Victor Cruz, Danny Amendola and Percy Harvin.
On Tuesday afternoon, former NFL exec Bill Polian — who helped build the Bills, Panthers and Colts and is now an analyst for ESPN — was asked about any reservations GMs might have when it comes to paying top-level slot receivers like big-time receivers.
‘I don’t know that if there is any reservation about that other than injury and longevity. [Danny] Amendola has been injured. He’s a very good player, but you have to take the injuries into consideration,’ said Polian on a conference call with reporters. ‘That’s where it comes into play. I don’t think it’s necessarily small-bodied or even more quick than fast guys. They’re productive and have proven to be productive. I don’t think they come along every day. So I don’t think there is a glut of them on the market. In Wes’s case there is age and in Amendola’s case the injury so that plays into it.
‘[But] how much are you willing to commit to any individual player given your cap situation, a flat cap?’ he added. ‘It’s essentially a flat cap, and the ability to field the team within that flat cap. All of those things come into play. I don’t think it has to do with a specific position or a specific body type. Free agency is much more, much more about individuals, their productivity, their injury history, their age and their cost than the draft is. They’re almost diametrically opposed.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Anthony Johnson Released by Patriots: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Jacoby Brissett Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Thumb and Return
- Jacoby Brissett, QBs Making Their First Career Start Under Belichick Are...
- Shorthanded Patriots Send Emphatic Message That They Are Team to Beat in...
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Jacoby Brissett, Julian Edelman, LeGarrette Blount Post-Week 3 Fantasy...
- Despite Injuries, Patriots Already September's Biggest Winners in the NFL