NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Washington CB Desmond Trufant
|03.09.13 at 4:22 pm ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that might be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2013 NFL draft. Here is one is a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Weight: 186 pounds
Achievements: 2012 All-Pac-12 first team; 2011, 2009 All-Pac-12 honorable mention (coaches)
What he brings: Trufant, who has two older brothers playing professional football (Marcus for the Seahawks and Isaiah for the Jets), distinguishes himself with his foot quickness and agility. He was a four-year starter at Washington, where he played both inside and outside in the slot and played both man and zone coverage. As a junior, he had two interceptions and 16 passes defended, and while his senior statistics (one interception and nine passes defended) dropped slightly, opponents tended to avoid his side of the field this season.
On the negative side, scouts have noted that he’s prone to opening his hips up too quickly and giving up inside leverage. He’s impressed observers with his competitive nature, but the consensus is that his overall physical strength isn’t particularly remarkable. CBS Sports’ Rob Rang also notes that his tackling technique is inconsistent and he hits too high at times.
Where the Patriots could get him: Round 1 or 2
Notes: The Patriots could be in need of a cornerback if they don’t re-sign Aqib Talib. Trufant was originally expected to be chosen sometime in the second round, but he impressed scouts at the Senior Bowl and his stock has been on the rise since then, making him a possibility for a late first-round pick.
Related articles: Tacoma News Tribune: Desmond Trufant turning heads of NFL scouts
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Aaron Hernandez May Be Cleared in Double-Murder Trial Due to Deleted Text
- Robert Kraft Comments on Tom Brady's Super Bowl Jersey Being Returned
- President Donald Trump to Host Patriots at White House on April 19
- Darrelle Revis Reportedly Expected to Return to Patriots If He Plays Next...
- Biggest Needs New England Patriots Have Yet to Address This Offseason
- Super Bowl 49 Champion Bryan Stork Retires from NFL at 26 Years Old
- Tom Brady Super Bowl 51 Jersey Theft Timeline Revealed on Video