NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Washington CB Desmond Trufant
|03.09.13 at 4:22 pm ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that might be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2013 NFL draft. Here is one is a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Weight: 186 pounds
Achievements: 2012 All-Pac-12 first team; 2011, 2009 All-Pac-12 honorable mention (coaches)
What he brings: Trufant, who has two older brothers playing professional football (Marcus for the Seahawks and Isaiah for the Jets), distinguishes himself with his foot quickness and agility. He was a four-year starter at Washington, where he played both inside and outside in the slot and played both man and zone coverage. As a junior, he had two interceptions and 16 passes defended, and while his senior statistics (one interception and nine passes defended) dropped slightly, opponents tended to avoid his side of the field this season.
On the negative side, scouts have noted that he’s prone to opening his hips up too quickly and giving up inside leverage. He’s impressed observers with his competitive nature, but the consensus is that his overall physical strength isn’t particularly remarkable. CBS Sports’ Rob Rang also notes that his tackling technique is inconsistent and he hits too high at times.
Where the Patriots could get him: Round 1 or 2
Notes: The Patriots could be in need of a cornerback if they don’t re-sign Aqib Talib. Trufant was originally expected to be chosen sometime in the second round, but he impressed scouts at the Senior Bowl and his stock has been on the rise since then, making him a possibility for a late first-round pick.
Related articles: Tacoma News Tribune: Desmond Trufant turning heads of NFL scouts
Latest from Bleacher Report
- New England Patriots vs. Buffalo Bills Betting Odds, Analysis, NFL Pick
- Dion Lewis Injury: Updates on Patriots RB's Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Rob Gronkowski Keeps Rolling as the Patriots' Offensive Pillar
- Patriots vs. Steelers: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- NFL Power Rankings: Breaking Down Sunday's Action Ahead of Week 7
- Patriots vs. Bengals: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Rob Gronkowski Illness: Updates on Patriots TE's Status and Return