NFL free agency update: Nnamdi Asomugha, Leon Washington released
|03.12.13 at 3:52 pm ET|
With free agency looming, here are a couple of moves of note to pass along:
The Seahawks are set to release running back/return man Leon Washington, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN. The veteran was scheduled to make $1.5 million in base salary in 2013. Washington has been a Pro Bowl return man over the course of his career, but he will turn 31 years old before the start of next season, and while he still averaged 29 yards per kick return in 2012 (one of the best totals in the league), was likely considered expendable after Seattle acquired Percy Harvin. Even though the Patriots have struggled to find consistency in the return game the last few seasons, it would be a surprise if New England was in on a deal for Washington.
The Eagles have cut cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha. The 31-year-old corner, who was part of a heralded group of free agents Philly signed shortly before the start of the 2011 season, has 71 interceptions over the course of his 10-year career. The 6-foot-2, 210-pounder is a three-time Pro Bowler who was scheduled to make $15 million in 2013 with $4 million guaranteed. While his deal needs to be reworked — he could make a nice addition somewhere — it would be a surprise if the Patriots were involved. (One thing New England will take note of is the fact that Asomugha’s presence on the open market is another sign that there’s a glut of veteran corners available — which could drive down the price of Aqib Talib and allow him to reach an agreement on a team-friendly deal that would keep him in Foxboro.)
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Robert Kraft 'Would Love' for Darrelle Revis to Return to Patriots
- Ideal Second-Round Fits for New England Patriots in 2017 NFL Draft
- Robert Kraft Discusses Restricted Free-Agent Malcolm Butler's Contract...
- Tom Brady Told Robert Kraft He'd Like to Play 6-7 More NFL Seasons
- Aaron Hernandez May Be Cleared in Double-Murder Trial Due to Deleted Text
- Robert Kraft Comments on Tom Brady's Super Bowl Jersey Being Returned
- President Donald Trump to Host Patriots at White House on April 19