NFL free agency update: Ravens release Bernard Pollard
|03.13.13 at 10:53 am ET|
Tweeted Pollard: Well Raven Nation it’s been fun. My time in Baltimore is done… Thank you!
Pollard, 28, carried a $3.25 million cap hit in 2013. His release could be a sign that the Ravens will try to retain fellow safety Ed Reed.
Pollard had 98 tackles, two sacks and one interception in 13 games last season, despite playing much of the year with cracked ribs. In seven NFL seasons, Pollard has 450 tackles (316 solo), nine sacks and nine interceptions.
Pollard has played for the Chiefs (2006-08), Texans (2009-10) and Ravens (2011-12). In the opening game of the 2008 season, he dove into the knee of Tom Brady and knocked the Patriots quarterback out for the season with a torn ACL. In the final regular-season game of 2009, he was preparing to tackle Wes Welker when the receiver tore his ACL trying to make a cut. In the 2011 AFC championship game, his tackle on Rob Gronkowski left the tight end with a sprained ankle that severely limited Gronkowski’s mobility in the Super Bowl. And in the AFC title game this past season, he knocked out running back Stevan Ridley on a hard helmet-to-helmet hit that caused Ridley to fumble the ball away. Ridley left the game with a concussion and did not return.
‘¢ Cornerback Chris Houston has agreed to return to the Lions, according to multiple reports. Houston apparently has a five-year deal.
‘¢ The Lions also lost a free agent, as former Boston College offensive lineman Gosder Cherilus is moving on to the Colts. Cherilus, a first-round pick (17th overall) in 2008, started 68 of 75 games over the last five seasons in Detroit. Cherilus, 28, played his high school ball in Somerville.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Patriots vs. Rams: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Tom Brady Passes Peyton Manning for Most Wins All-Time by a QB
- Danny Amendola Injury: Updates on Patriots WR's Ankle and Return
- Tom Brady Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Knee and Return
- Alan Branch Wins Suspension Appeal: Latest Details and Reaction
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?
- Rob Gronkowski Injury Update: TE Reportedly Will Miss 8 Weeks with Back...