|NFL free agency update: Chiefs release QB Matt Cassel||03.14.13 at 11:40 am ET|
Unable to find a trade partner, the Chiefs released quarterback Matt Cassel on Thursday. Cassel became expendable after the team acquired Alex Smith from the 49ers and signed Chase Daniel as a free agent.
Cassel, whom the Chiefs obtained from the Patriots in 2009, struggled the last two years after a solid 2010 season. Last season he played nine games, completing 161 passes for 1,796 yards and six touchdowns with 12 interceptions. He also fumbled the ball nine times, losing seven. Cassel, 30, was due to earn $7.5 million in 2013.
• The Jets, apparently not impressed with what they’re hearing regarding offers for Darrelle Revis, reportedly are still listening but are not actively shopping the veteran cornerback and are not committed to trading him.
The Buccaneers were rumored to be actively pursuing Revis but were not willing to part with their first-round pick this year.
Revis, entering the final year of his four-year, $46 million deal, is believed to be seeking about $15 million per year in his new contract.
The Jets continued to say goodbye to players Wednesday, as leading rusher Shonn Greene agreed to a three-year deal with the Titans, cornerback LaRon Landry signed a four-year deal with the Colts and safety Yeremiah Bell joined the Cardinals on a one-year deal.
2013 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2013 NFL DRAFT
- Dwight Freeney Signs With Chargers; Pats Showed 'Last Minute Interest'
- USA Today: Gronkowski Dealing With Back Issue, Could Face (Another)...
- Patriots Sign Second-Round Pick Jamie Collins
- New England Patriots Links 5/17/13 - Hightower Understands Work Ethic...
- Rapoport: Gronkowski Forearm Surgery 'Imminent'; Likely To Be Monday
- Kyle Love Claimed By Jaguars; Joins Brandon Deaderick
- On Kyle Love