Sean Smith’s deal could set the market for Aqib Talib
|03.14.13 at 3:18 pm ET|
The cornerback market is starting to come into sharper focus, as the Chiefs have signed Sean Smith to a three-year, $18 million deal, with $11 million of that guaranteed.
That deal could provide a framework for a contract for Aqib Talib, who is also considered one of the better free agent corners still on the market. On the subject of Talib — who was dealt to the Patriots midway through the 2012 season and was an important part of the New England secondary down the stretch — he’s been linked to the Redskins on several occasions. However, at this point, it’s unclear if Washington could get him under the cap.
But to this point in free agency, it has been a rough run for cornerbacks, as the money that was there in year’s past hasn’t been there — for the most part — this time around. That depressed market should help out the Patriots, who are still believed to be interested in making an addition in the secondary.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Week 4 Proves Why Pats Are Still in Driver's Seat
- Patriots Favored over Cowboys in Marquee Matchup
- Pros, Cons of Patriots' Offensive Line Shuffling
- What's the Secret to Lewis' Sudden Stardom?
- Blount and Lewis Are Perfect 1-2 Punch in Pats Backfield
- Adjustments Patriots Must Make After Bye Week
- Where Does Brady's Hot Start Rank?