Sean Smith’s deal could set the market for Aqib Talib
|03.14.13 at 3:18 pm ET|
The cornerback market is starting to come into sharper focus, as the Chiefs have signed Sean Smith to a three-year, $18 million deal, with $11 million of that guaranteed.
That deal could provide a framework for a contract for Aqib Talib, who is also considered one of the better free agent corners still on the market. On the subject of Talib — who was dealt to the Patriots midway through the 2012 season and was an important part of the New England secondary down the stretch — he’s been linked to the Redskins on several occasions. However, at this point, it’s unclear if Washington could get him under the cap.
But to this point in free agency, it has been a rough run for cornerbacks, as the money that was there in year’s past hasn’t been there — for the most part — this time around. That depressed market should help out the Patriots, who are still believed to be interested in making an addition in the secondary.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Josh McDaniels to Return as Patriots OC: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Patriots Picked Perfect Time to Play Imperfect Football in Win over...
- Dion Lewis vs. Texans: Stats, Highlights and Reaction
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- In Better Shape Than Ever at Age 39: Here's How Tom Brady Does It
- NFL1000: Why New England's Defense Can Carry Belichick to Another Super...
- Patriots vs. Dolphins: Full Report Card Grades for New England