Report: Danny Amendola could make a lot more money with Patriots if he stays healthy
|03.16.13 at 8:59 am ET|
There’s some important information that’s been uncovered in the contract signed by new Patriots receiver Danny Amendola. The deal is for five years, and according to Howard Balzer of the Sports Xchange, could top out at $28.5 million if Amendola stays healthy for the duration of the contract.
According to the numbers obtained by Balzer, Amendola receives a $6 million signing bonus, as well as base salary guarantees of $2 million in 2013 and $2 million of a scheduled $3 million base salary in 2014. In addition, Amendola is set to receive base salaries of $4 million, $5 million and $6 million in 2015, 2016 and 2017.
However, the Patriots have built in playtime incentives in the form of per-game roster bonuses of $31,250 in year of the contract. If he plays all 16 games over the course of the regular season, he’d make an extra $500,000 per year — that would boost his take to another $2.5 million.
Amendola has struggled with injury over the last few seasons — because of heel, foot and clavicle issues, he played just 12 games over the last two years, and has played in 16 games just once in his four-year career. On a conference call with reporters on Friday, he was asked about his injury history.
‘You have to understand that it’s a football game. Injuries sometimes happen,’ Amendola said. ‘I really don’t have much to say about the critics who talk about injuries because its just part of the game and stuff like that happens. Trying to stay healthy and trying to get on the field obviously, is the number one priority.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?
- Rob Gronkowski Injury Update: TE Reportedly Will Miss 8 Weeks with Back...
- Marcus Cannon, Patriots Agree to New Contract: Latest Details and...
- Tom Brady Became 5th QB in NFL History to Throw for at Least 60,000 Yards
- Patriots vs. Jets: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Rob Gronkowski Injury: Updates on Patriots Star's Recovery from Back...
- Julian Edelman Injury: Updates on Patriots Star's Foot and Return