Robert Kraft says Patriots preferred Wes Welker over Danny Amendola
|03.18.13 at 3:54 pm ET|
Patriots owner Robert Kraft said Monday at the owners meetings the organization wanted Wes Welker over Danny Amendola, but that the negotiations led to Welker ending up in Denver and Amendola signing with New England.
“We usually don’t talk about contracts,” Kraft said, according to Comcast SportsNet’s Tom E. Curran. “I’d like to clear up misconceptions about negotiations. Everyone in our organization wanted Wes back.”
Added Kraft: “Wes Welker was our first choice to be with the team. Our second alternative was Danny Amendola.”
According to tweets out of Phoenix, Kraft said that the Patriots were willing to pay Welker “slightly above market value” and said the receiver’s agents “played poker with us.” Kraft also said that that the Patriots’ offer was “better than what he got in Denver and I’m sad about that.”
Welker signed a two-year, $12 million contract with the Broncos while Amendola got a five-year, $28.5 million deal with the Pats.
For more on the Patriots, visit weei.com/patriots.
- The New England Patriots now control their destiny in the AFC playoff...
- 2013 Week 14 Patriots Power Rankings
- New England Patriots Links 12/12/13 - Jamie Collins Growing into...
- Coping With Loss: the Rob Gronkowski Edition
- New England Patriots Links 12/11/13 - Can Mental Toughness Overcome...
- No Lead, No Problem
- Patriots vs. Browns: By the Numbers