Robert Kraft says Patriots preferred Wes Welker over Danny Amendola
|03.18.13 at 3:54 pm ET|
Patriots owner Robert Kraft said Monday at the owners meetings the organization wanted Wes Welker over Danny Amendola, but that the negotiations led to Welker ending up in Denver and Amendola signing with New England.
“We usually don’t talk about contracts,” Kraft said, according to Comcast SportsNet’s Tom E. Curran. “I’d like to clear up misconceptions about negotiations. Everyone in our organization wanted Wes back.”
Added Kraft: “Wes Welker was our first choice to be with the team. Our second alternative was Danny Amendola.”
According to tweets out of Phoenix, Kraft said that the Patriots were willing to pay Welker “slightly above market value” and said the receiver’s agents “played poker with us.” Kraft also said that that the Patriots’ offer was “better than what he got in Denver and I’m sad about that.”
For more on the Patriots, visit weei.com/patriots.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Josh McDaniels to Return as Patriots OC: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Patriots Picked Perfect Time to Play Imperfect Football in Win over...
- Dion Lewis vs. Texans: Stats, Highlights and Reaction
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- In Better Shape Than Ever at Age 39: Here's How Tom Brady Does It
- NFL1000: Why New England's Defense Can Carry Belichick to Another Super...
- Patriots vs. Dolphins: Full Report Card Grades for New England