Robert Kraft says Patriots preferred Wes Welker over Danny Amendola
|03.18.13 at 3:54 pm ET|
Patriots owner Robert Kraft said Monday at the owners meetings the organization wanted Wes Welker over Danny Amendola, but that the negotiations led to Welker ending up in Denver and Amendola signing with New England.
“We usually don’t talk about contracts,” Kraft said, according to Comcast SportsNet’s Tom E. Curran. “I’d like to clear up misconceptions about negotiations. Everyone in our organization wanted Wes back.”
Added Kraft: “Wes Welker was our first choice to be with the team. Our second alternative was Danny Amendola.”
According to tweets out of Phoenix, Kraft said that the Patriots were willing to pay Welker “slightly above market value” and said the receiver’s agents “played poker with us.” Kraft also said that that the Patriots’ offer was “better than what he got in Denver and I’m sad about that.”
For more on the Patriots, visit weei.com/patriots.
2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2014 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- How Big of an Impact Will Easley Make for Pats?
- Patriots' Top Offseason Moves
- Assessing Every Patriots UDFA's Chances of Making the Roster
- Projecting Patriots' Roster Battles This Offseason
- Ranking Pats' Remaining Offseason Priorities
- Early Projections for Patriots' Final 53-Man Roster
- In-Depth Look at Each Pats Draft Pick