Rex Ryan: ‘I’m just glad Wes Welker isn’t there’
|03.19.13 at 12:00 pm ET|
“I’m just glad Wes Welker isn’t there. I hated Wes Welker. I’m kidding … kind of,” Ryan said, via NFL.com. “Actually, I’m a huge fan of Wes Welker. He had historical success. That’s some big shoes for [Danny Amendola] to fill.”
Ryan also touched on his team’s situation regarding cornerback Darrelle Revis. The Jets reportedly have been entertaining offers for Revis, who can become a free agent after the 2013 season and is asking for far more money than the Jets want to pay.
“I know for a fact that we’re not actively trying to trade Darrelle Revis,” Ryan said, via the Newark Star-Ledger. “But if somebody calls, you listen.”
Ryan is overseeing a team that has had major changes to its roster this offseason as it strives to get under the salary cap and find the right combination to get the Jets back into contention.
“I’ll coach who’s here,” Ryan said. “On opening day we’ll see who that is.”
Ryan refuted a suggestion that he’s coaching for his job, insisting his team offers great appeal to him and might be underrated.
“If anything, people should be worried about us,” Ryan said, via the New York Post. “I’m not afraid of my situation. I’m looking forward to my situation. You’re making the assumption that I’m just a short-term guy. I don’t see it that way.”
Added Ryan: “The league knows I can coach. I never said [this season] was going to be easy, but I’m excited about the challenges. You’re going to have a lot of turnover, but rebuilding? Each year in the NFL, you feel your team has a shot.”
Although he insisted he’s “not afraid of any position I’m put in,” the normally brash coach admitted he crossed the line when he predicted a championship for his team before the 2010 season.
“Guaranteeing that Super Bowl is always going to haunt me,” he said. “If I could ever have a do-over, that would be it.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- The Redemption of Josh McDaniels: Failure Taught Pats OC How to Pick His...
- Julian Edelman Comments on His Role Against Bills in Week 4
- Anthony Johnson Released by Patriots: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Jacoby Brissett Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Thumb and Return
- Jacoby Brissett, QBs Making Their First Career Start Under Belichick Are...
- Shorthanded Patriots Send Emphatic Message That They Are Team to Beat in...
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England