NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Ohio State DT Johnathan Hankins
|03.20.13 at 7:07 am ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that might be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2013 NFL draft. Here is one is a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Position: Defensive tackle
School: Ohio State
Weight: 320 pounds
Achievements: 2012 All-America second team (AP), 2011 All-Big Ten honorable mention
What he brings: Hankins is known as a powerful force against both the run and the pass, although he’s better against the run. He’s quick for his size and moves fluidly in all directions, and his hands are strong, allowing him to consistently secure tackles. He played both DE and DT in college, as well as some special teams. However, some scouts are concerned about the fact that he tends to fade away toward the end of games, citing his weight as a possible issue. Some scouts have praised his initial quickness, but others aren’t convinced — NFL.com says he lacks the burst to be an elite pass-rusher.
Where the Patriots could get him: Round 1
Notes: Hankins played in all 38 games during his three seasons as a Buckeye, showing durability, although he battled a minor knee sprain throughout the last two seasons and wore a brace much of the time. His conditioning has improved over his time at Ohio State, although his ability to maintain his weight remains something of a concern. In general, he has a great deal of upside but may not show it consistently due to an apparent lack of energy as games wear on.
Related articles: ESPN: Ohio State Buckeyes DT Johnathan Hankins to forgo senior season
Video: Here’s Hankins in action vs. Nebraska this past season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Patriots vs. Rams: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Tom Brady Passes Peyton Manning for Most Wins All-Time by a QB
- Danny Amendola Injury: Updates on Patriots WR's Ankle and Return
- Tom Brady Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Knee and Return
- Alan Branch Wins Suspension Appeal: Latest Details and Reaction
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?
- Rob Gronkowski Injury Update: TE Reportedly Will Miss 8 Weeks with Back...