NFL free agency update: Broncos make Elvis Dumervil an offer, Ed Reed holding out for long-term deal
|03.20.13 at 9:22 am ET|
Despite the situation created Friday, when Elvis Dumervil‘s agent was unable to fax his signed contract to the Broncos before the 2 p.m. deadline, the Broncos still hope to re-sign the defensive end and have made him an offer, according to The Denver Post.
The Broncos cut Dumervil after the fax issue to avoid paying him the full amount that would have been required under his previous contract. The Post reports that although Denver head of football operations John Elway wouldn’t discuss the specifics of the new offer, expectations are that it would be a three-year deal for significantly less than the $30 million Dumervil would have been owed under his original contract.
The Patriots, Titans, Ravens and Steelers all have been reported to be interested in Dumervil. The Post mentions that the Falcons may be pursuing him as well.
• The Dolphins signed defensive tackle Randy Starks, who made the Pro Bowl as an alternate, to a franchise tender that will guarantee him $8.45 million this year. He earned $3.72 million in 2012.
Starks, 29, has 32.5 sacks and four interceptions in 140 career games. He made 4.5 sacks and one interception last year for Miami. The Dolphins also re-signed offensive lineman Nate Garner.
• The Texans have made Ravens safety Ed Reed an offer that is between $4 million and $5 million a year but closer to the former, according to the Houston Chronicle. Reed is continuing to hear offers from other teams, hoping for something between $6 million and $7 million.
Reed, 34, is looking for a long-term deal, to which the Ravens don’t want to commit. The Chronicle reports that the 49ers and Patriots are also looking at Reed.
• The Jaguars have re-signed wide receiver Jordan Shipley, according to Shipley’s Twitter account. The deal is reported by the Florida Times-Union to be worth $1.315 million over two years. The Jaguars also have agreed to terms with center Brad Meester on a one-year deal. This will be Meester’s 14th season with Jacksonville.
2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2014 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- How Big of an Impact Will Easley Make for Pats?
- Patriots' Top Offseason Moves
- Assessing Every Patriots UDFA's Chances of Making the Roster
- Projecting Patriots' Roster Battles This Offseason
- Ranking Pats' Remaining Offseason Priorities
- Early Projections for Patriots' Final 53-Man Roster
- In-Depth Look at Each Pats Draft Pick