NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Rutgers CB Logan Ryan
|03.22.13 at 7:12 am ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that might be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2013 NFL draft. Here is one is a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Position: Defensive back
Weight: 191 pounds
Achievements: 2012 All-Big East first team, 2012 Jim Thorpe award semifinalist, 2011 All-Big East second team, 2010 All-Big East Academic team
What he brings: Ryan is known above all for his size and physicality. He had 94 tackles (five for a loss) and four interceptions in 2012 at Rutgers, and scouts have mentioned his confidence (a claim that’s backed up by his willingness to leave school after his junior year). ESPN notes that his ball skills are a strength and that he locates the ball well even with his back to the quarterback. Speed isn’t considered among his chief assets, and CBS Sports’ scouting report comments that that his defensive approach, at times overly aggressive, could cause him some penalty problems at the NFL level. Overall, he’s seen as a strong raw talent whose technique may need some refining.
Where the Patriots could get him: Round 2
Notes: Ryan ranked first in the Big East in passes defended in 2012 and has 38 passes defended over the last two seasons. His performance this past season earned him comparisons to former Rutgers cornerback and current Patriot Devin McCourty, the only Rutgers cornerback ever drafted in the first round.
Video: Here’s a look at Ryan in action vs. UConn in 2012.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Anthony Johnson Released by Patriots: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Jacoby Brissett Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Thumb and Return
- Jacoby Brissett, QBs Making Their First Career Start Under Belichick Are...
- Shorthanded Patriots Send Emphatic Message That They Are Team to Beat in...
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Jacoby Brissett, Julian Edelman, LeGarrette Blount Post-Week 3 Fantasy...
- Despite Injuries, Patriots Already September's Biggest Winners in the NFL