NFL free agency update: Ed Reed’s deal with Texans for 3 years, $15 million
|03.22.13 at 1:09 pm ET|
The nine-time Pro Bowl safety reportedly had been hoping for a longer-term contract but eventually agreed on three years with Houston after spending the first 11 years of his career in Baltimore.
Reed is the Ravens’ franchise leader in interceptions, with 61, and his 1,541 return yards off of those pickoffs is an NFL career record. He helped the Ravens beat the Patriots in the AFC championship — a possible reason for the Texans’ interest in him, since they were eliminated from the playoffs by the Patriots.
‘I know already what they want to do, and that’s win a championship. I came here to do that,’ Reed said at his introductory press conference as a Texan. ‘Houston already has the attributes. I pray and hope I am the attribute needed to take us to the next level.’
‘¢ The Steelers, Ravens and Broncos are the main teams still in play for Broncos defensive end Elvis Dumervil, according to ProFootballTalk.com. Baltimore and Denver are reported to be the frontrunners.
Those same teams are also looking at Colts defensive end/linebacker Dwight Freeney, and whichever team doesn’t get Dumervil is likely to compete with the Steelers for Freeney.
Denver would like to retain Dumervil, but he and his agent reportedly are hesitant to accept the lower offer the Broncos made him after his attempt to re-sign was derailed by a fax sent too late.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Terrance Knighton Cut by Patriots: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Updates on Patriots OT Sebastian Vollmer Injury
- Latest Updates on Tom Brady's Thumb Injury
- Malcolm Mitchell Injury: Updates on Patriots WR's Elbow
- Tom Brady Comments on Suspension, Decision to Drop Deflategate Appeal
- Latest Updates on Bryan Stork's Concussion
- Gronk Is Too Good to Be NFL's Highest-Paid TE