NFL free agency update: Patriots reportedly interested in Chargers DE Vaughn Martin
|03.22.13 at 11:10 am ET|
The Patriots are interested in Chargers defensive end Vaughn Martin, according to CBS’s Jason La Canfora.
Martin has spent the first four years of his NFL career with San Diego, appearing in 48 games since the Chargers drafted him in the fourth round in 2009. He made 19 tackles and one sack in 12 games last year, and has 78 tackles and three sacks in his career.
He suffered a season-ending groin injury during a pregame warmup in Pittsburgh on Dec. 9, but the injury did not require surgery.
La Canfora reports that Martin — who was born in Jamaica and landed in the NFL via Canadian college football — also has drawn interest from the Eagles, Lions and Saints, and that the Chargers also hope to retain him.
• Linebacker Brian Urlacher wants another chance in the NFL, although he knows it won’t be with the Bears.
“I really don’t think they wanted me back,” Urlacher said, adding that he thinks the team’s one-year, $2 million offer to him is now off the table.
Urlacher said his agents have spoken to the Vikings, Cowboys and Cardinals, and that he thinks more teams haven’t shown interest because they weren’t sure he would leave the Bears.
Replacing Ray Lewis in Baltimore isn’t a possibility, Urlacher said, but he’s not tied to playing in a 4-3 defense and says he could learn a 3-4 — just as long as he lands with a competitive team.
“I’m an old fart, so I want to go in there and win,” Urlacher said on The Dan Patrick Show.
- Coping With Loss: the Rob Gronkowski Edition
- New England Patriots Links 12/11/13 - Can Mental Toughness Overcome...
- No Lead, No Problem
- Patriots vs. Browns: By the Numbers
- Offensive Fallout: Touch Percentage
- Patriots vs. Ravens Flexed Out of Primetime for Week 16
- New England Patriots Links 12/10/13 - 'Next Man Up' Philosophy Faces...