NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Wisconsin OT Ricky Wagner
|03.23.13 at 8:00 am ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that might be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2013 NFL draft. Here is one of a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Position: Offensive tackle
Weight: 308 pounds
Achievements: 2012 All-Big Ten first team (coaches), 2011 All-Big Ten honorable mention (consensus), 2010 All-Big Ten honorable mention (consensus)
What he brings: Wagner has a solid, large frame, and scouts have been impressed with his initial quickness in pass protection. However, CBSSports.com points out that his technique as a run-blocker might be his best trait. Has some versatility, with experience at right and left tackle. Others have talked about Wagner’s strong upper body and legs, which help him give up little to no ground on bull rushes.
Where the Patriots could get him: Round 5 or 6
Notes: Wagner was responsible for protecting Russell Wilson‘s blind side in 2011, and he did a good job. Wilson was sacked 22 times that year, his lowest total in his four years for the Badgers. … Wagner decided to attend Wisconsin after losing out on some scholarship offers due to an eight-game suspension his senior year of high school for an athletic code violation involving alcohol.
Related articles: WEEI.com: Ricky Wagner is a potential fit for the Patriots
Video: Here’s a look at Wagner (58) in action vs. Ohio State in 2011.
2016 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2016 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Patriots Long Snapper, May Leave Team to Fulfill Navy Duty
- Scarnecchia Has Tall Task Developing Pats' Young Offensive Line
- What Are Explanations for Patriots' Failure to Address Hole at RB?
- Patriots: Way-Too-Early 53-Man Roster and Depth Chart Predictions
- Kraft Comments on Brady's Deflategate Suspension Being Upheld
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 3 Predictions
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 2 Predictions