NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Florida State DT Everett Dawkins
|03.25.13 at 9:44 am ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that might be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2013 NFL draft. Here is one is a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Position: Defensive tackle
School: Florida State
Weight: 292 pounds
Achievements: 2012 All-ACC second team (media, coaches), 2011 All-ACC honorable mention
What he brings: Dawkins was part of a strong Florida State defensive line, a quick-footed player with quicker hands. He’s described as agile and someone who hustles hard on the pass rush, adapting well if he doesn’t read the play well initially. He bulked up during his time at Florida State, including putting on a reported 25 pounds of muscle in the 2011 offseason, but his smaller size for a DT still is a concern for some scouts, as it makes it harder for him to move bigger linemen once they are anchored. NFL.com notes that he also has issues with his pad level that can prevent him from getting under opponents and anchoring himself well.
Where the Patriots could get him: Round 5
Notes: Dawkins graduated from Florida State in 2011 and now is working on a second degree in criminology. He didn’t record particularly impressive numbers in college (4.5 tackles for a loss, 2.5 sacks in the last two years), but that was due in part to Florida State’s defensive line rotation. If his technical issues, like that of his pad level, can be fixed by coaches at the next level, he could become an NFL starter.
Video: Here’s a look at Dawkins in action vs. South Florida in 2012.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Anthony Johnson Released by Patriots: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Jacoby Brissett Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Thumb and Return
- Jacoby Brissett, QBs Making Their First Career Start Under Belichick Are...
- Shorthanded Patriots Send Emphatic Message That They Are Team to Beat in...
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Jacoby Brissett, Julian Edelman, LeGarrette Blount Post-Week 3 Fantasy...
- Despite Injuries, Patriots Already September's Biggest Winners in the NFL