NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Florida LB Jelani Jenkins
|03.29.13 at 11:35 am ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that might be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2013 NFL draft. Here is one of a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Position: Outside linebacker
Weight: 243 pounds
Achievements: 2012 Butkus Award preseason watch list, 2012 Preseason All-SEC third team (coaches), 2010 SEC All-Freshman team
What he brings: NFL.com writes about Jenkins’ good speed and ability to move from sideline to sideline. His speed and athleticism help him with tracking down and tackling the ball-carrier. Jenkins also showcases aggressiveness, getting past his defender on the line of scrimmage and making tackles for losses on running plays. Scouts have said what’s most impressive about him though, is his abilities in coverage situations. He has the talent to keep up with defending backs and tight ends.
Where the Patriots could get him: Round 4
Notes: Jenkins dealt with thumb, hamstring and foot issues in 2012 and missed three regular-season games plus the Sugar Bowl. He had foot surgery after the season. … In 36 career games at Florida, he recorded 182 tackles, 16.5 tackles for a loss, six sacks and three interceptions.
Related articles: gatorsports.com: Jelani Jenkins attempts to justify jump to NFL
Video: Here is a good look at Jenkins in action during the 2012 season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Griff Whalen to Patriots: Latest Contract Details, Comments and Reaction
- Patriots vs. Rams: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Tom Brady Passes Peyton Manning for Most Wins All-Time by a QB
- Danny Amendola Injury: Updates on Patriots WR's Ankle and Return
- Tom Brady Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Knee and Return
- Alan Branch Wins Suspension Appeal: Latest Details and Reaction
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?