NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: FIU safety Jonathan Cyprien
|04.01.13 at 7:07 am ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that might be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2013 NFL draft. Here is one is a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
School: Florida International
Weight: 217 pounds
Achievements: 2012 All-Sun Belt first team, 2011 All-Sun Belt second team, 2010 All-Sun Belt second team, 2009 All-Sun Belt honorable mention
What he brings: Cyprien is an active defender with a strong build who made an impression at the Senior Bowl, drawing more attention than he previously had at a small school. He’s fast enough to cover significant ground in the backfield and has drawn praise for his ball skills, as well as his ability to overpower opponents’ blocks. He can be overly aggressive with his tackles and sometimes hits ball-carriers high, which could pose a problem for him at the NFL level. Some scouts are also concerned about the way he reads plays and his ability to recover after being beaten or faked out. Doug Farrar of Yahoo! Sports suggests he would work well in a three-safety package for a team like the Giants because of his skill in defending the slot.
Where the Patriots could get him: Round 2
Notes: Cyprien’s biggest obstacle in the draft is likely his lack of name recognition, coming from FIU. He’s proven himself to be a hard-hitting, reliable safety, with considerable potential at the NFL level, but may slip in the draft behind players from bigger schools.
Related articles: Miami Herald: FIU’s Cyprien the only local player in Senior Bowl
Latest from Bleacher Report
- NFL Power Rankings: Breaking Down Sunday's Action Ahead of Week 7
- Patriots vs. Bengals: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Rob Gronkowski Illness: Updates on Patriots TE's Status and Return
- Tom Brady Elects Not to Comment When Asked About Donald Trump's Leaked...
- Cincinnati Bengals vs. New England Patriots Betting Odds, Analysis, NFL...
- Martellus Bennett, Chris Hogan, James White Post-Week 5 Fantasy Advice
- Patriots vs. Browns: Full Report Card Grades for New England