Patriots have $10.299 million in room under cap
|04.03.13 at 11:49 pm ET|
The Patriots have $10,299,937 in cap room as of Wednesday, according to NFLPA documents.
It’s important to remember that teams always want to leave some wiggle room under the cap to allow themselves some financial flexibility. In addition, the rookie contracts have to be figured into the mix as well. But when stacked up against the rest of the league, New England — which currently has 50 contracts on the books — is in better shape than other teams: The Patriots are one of 11 teams with at least $10 million in cap space, and all 32 teams have an average of $9,645.619.19 of cap room.
The team in best shape is Jaguars, who have $28,387,582 in cap space. (In all, there are five teams with more than $25 million in cap room: the Jags, Browns, Bengals, Eagles and Bucs.) Meanwhile, the Rams are on the other end of the spectrum with $506,053. As for the conference champs, the Ravens have $5,356,586 in cap room, while the Niners are at $4,029,822.
From a divisional perspective, the AFC East is actually in pretty good shape: In addition to the Patriots, who have more than $10 million in cap room, the Bills have 49 contracts currently on the books, and have $16,347,532 in cap room. The Dolphins have 51 contracts and $8,263,667. And the Jets have 49 contracts and $12,566,471.
For more Patriots news, check out weei.com/patriots.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...
- 10 NFL Combine Participants New England Patriots Fans Should Know