Wes Welker: Leaving New England was ‘just business’
|04.03.13 at 12:28 pm ET|
Wes Welker said Wednesday morning that contract talks between his reps and the Patriots never got personal and indicated that in the end, “everything worked out really well for everybody.”
The former Patriots wide receiver who signed a free agent deal with the Broncos last month after six seasons in New England, told ESPN Radio that the whole thing was just about business.
‘I think a lot of it is just business,’ Welker said. ‘It’s kind of the unfortunate part of the business, but it is what it is. You try to find what works for you, as far as financially and as a player and everything else. I think at the end of the day — fortunately or unfortunately — it kind of just worked out the way it did.’
In the days after Welker’s new deal, there was a lot of debate about which contract was better, as representatives for the wide receiver disputed the claims put forth by the Patriots and owner Robert Kraft. But Welker, who surpassed 100 catches in five of his six seasons in New England, said he doesn’t feel underappreciated for what he did with the Patriots,
‘Absolutely,’ Welker said. ‘I think everything worked out really well for everybody. It was a good run and I look forward to keeping that run going in Denver.’
In his introductory press conference with the Broncos, Welker said the toughest thing was leaving quarterback Tom Brady — the two had built a tremendous relationship, both on and off the field, since Welker arrived in 2007.
‘Tom is one of my good friends,’ Welker said Wednesday. ‘We stay in contact often.’
For more Patriots news, check out weei.com/patriots.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...
- 10 NFL Combine Participants New England Patriots Fans Should Know
- Devin McCourty Comments on Decision to Skip White House Visit with Donald...