NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Auburn RB Onterio McCalebb
|04.05.13 at 7:10 am ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that might be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2013 NFL draft. Here is one of a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Position: Running back
Weight: 168 pounds
Achievements: 2012 All-SEC second team (coaches)
What he brings: McCalebb has great speed, especially in the open field. He can stop quickly and alter his direction well. He’s a good receiver, particularly in the slot. NFL.com has noted his ability to follow his blockers after a reception on a screen. He also could be useful in the league as a kick return specialist.
Where the Patriots could get him: Round 7
Notes: McCalebb graduates from Auburn as the 15th leading rusher in school history (2,016 yards) and sixth in career running back receptions (45). He also holds the Tigers’ single-season record for yards per carry, averaging 8.5 yards in 2010, and kickoff return average (27.90 yards). In 2012, vs. Louisiana-Monroe, he rushed for a season-high 128 yards in the Tigers’ overtime victory. In the 2011 SEC championship game vs. South Carolina, McCalebb had his first career receiving touchdown.
Video: Here is a look at McCalebb’s kick return for a touchdown vs. Mississippi State during the 2012 season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- WR Chris Harper Released by Patriots
- Brady Comments on Officiating During Broncos Loss
- Buzz: Patriots Hopeful Gronk, Amendola Will Play vs. Eagles
- Chandler's Updated Fantasy Outlook After Gronkowski's Injury
- Full Game Grades for Pats vs. Broncos
- Despite First Loss, Pats Still in Driver's Seat for AFC's No. 1 Seed
- Pats' Super Bowl Hopes May Hinge on Gronk's Status