NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Auburn RB Onterio McCalebb
|04.05.13 at 7:10 am ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that might be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2013 NFL draft. Here is one of a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Position: Running back
Weight: 168 pounds
Achievements: 2012 All-SEC second team (coaches)
What he brings: McCalebb has great speed, especially in the open field. He can stop quickly and alter his direction well. He’s a good receiver, particularly in the slot. NFL.com has noted his ability to follow his blockers after a reception on a screen. He also could be useful in the league as a kick return specialist.
Where the Patriots could get him: Round 7
Notes: McCalebb graduates from Auburn as the 15th leading rusher in school history (2,016 yards) and sixth in career running back receptions (45). He also holds the Tigers’ single-season record for yards per carry, averaging 8.5 yards in 2010, and kickoff return average (27.90 yards). In 2012, vs. Louisiana-Monroe, he rushed for a season-high 128 yards in the Tigers’ overtime victory. In the 2011 SEC championship game vs. South Carolina, McCalebb had his first career receiving touchdown.
Video: Here is a look at McCalebb’s kick return for a touchdown vs. Mississippi State during the 2012 season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...
- 10 NFL Combine Participants New England Patriots Fans Should Know