Report: Infection issue could keep Gronk sidelined
|04.07.13 at 9:09 am ET|
Rob Gronkowski might have to have the plate in his left forearm removed because of infection concerns, and as a result, his readiness for the 2013 season could be in jeopardy, according to a report from the Boston Herald.
The tight end, who initially broke his left forearm in a Nov. 18 win over the Colts, reportedly suffered an infection in the wake of January surgery. As a result, he’s nearing the end of a six-week cycle of antibiotic treatments at Massachusetts General Hospital.
However, according to the Herald, doctors aren’t certain that the infection has been eliminated. If the infection is cleared, the tight end should be good to go, and should be ready to continue his rehab without an issue. However, if it is still a problem, doctors will have to wait until the infection is cleared before installing a new plate, which would require another surgical procedure. If that happens, the two-plus months required to fully heal would put Gronkowski in jeopardy of not being ready for the 2013 season, the Herald reported.
On March 27, Gronkowski expressed optimism about the state of his rehab.
‘I’m doing a lot better, definitely. [I’m] feeling a lot better. My arm is feeling way better than it was during the playoffs and regular season when I broke it,’ Gronkowski told ESPN Radio said when asked about his left arm. ‘Right now, just rehabbing, getting the muscle stronger around it. You want to get everything activated, re-activated, because it shuts down for a little bit when it’s healing.
‘Just rehabbing, and when my trainers give me the ‘good to go,’ hopefully in the next couple weeks, hopefully as soon as possible, I can get rolling again and get back in the weight room and get back on the field and do what I love doing ‘ running around and catching some balls.’
For more Patriots news, check out weei.com/patriots.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...
- 10 NFL Combine Participants New England Patriots Fans Should Know
- Devin McCourty Comments on Decision to Skip White House Visit with Donald...