NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Georgia LB Alec Ogletree
|04.08.13 at 7:12 am ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that might be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2013 NFL draft. Here is one of a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Position: Inside linebacker
Weight: 242 pounds
Achievements: 2012 All-SEC first team (coaches), 2011 co-recipient of Georgia’s David Jacobs Award, 2010 All-SEC freshman team (coaches)
What he brings: Ogletree is considered to be one of the top inside linebackers in this year’s draft. His terrific speed enables him to chase down ball-carriers from behind. Many draft scouts have noticed his good usage of his hands in order to beat blockers, and his aggressive nature in getting past them. It is being said that Ogletree is at his best when he is in pursuit on outside plays. When backs and quarterbacks run on the outside, he quickly cuts them off and makes tackles consistently. Additionally, being a former safety, Ogletree has great range and raw athleticism.
Where the Patriots could get him: Round 1 or 2
Notes: Ogletree’s draft stock might have dropped after a DUI arrest in Arizona in February. He has had other off-the-field problems as well. In 2010, during his freshman year, he was arrested and charged with theft for stealing a Georgia track athlete’s motorcycle helmet. In 2012, he was suspended for four games by Georgia coach Mark Richt after failing drug tests. … In 2011, Ogletree missed seven games after suffering a broken foot in the season-opener against Boise State. … His twin brother, Alexander, was a fullback for Georgia but left the team in February for “undisclosed medical reasons.”
Related articles: WEEI.com: Does Alec Ogletree’s DUI hurt his draft stock?
Video: Here’s a package of Ogletree highlights from the 2012 season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Robert Kraft 'Would Love' for Darrelle Revis to Return to Patriots
- Ideal Second-Round Fits for New England Patriots in 2017 NFL Draft
- Robert Kraft Discusses Restricted Free-Agent Malcolm Butler's Contract...
- Tom Brady Told Robert Kraft He'd Like to Play 6-7 More NFL Seasons
- Aaron Hernandez May Be Cleared in Double-Murder Trial Due to Deleted Text
- Robert Kraft Comments on Tom Brady's Super Bowl Jersey Being Returned
- President Donald Trump to Host Patriots at White House on April 19