Patriots CB Alfonzo Dennard receives 30-day jail sentence
|04.11.13 at 10:12 am ET|
Patriots cornerback Alfonzo Dennard was sentenced on Thursday to serve 30 days in jail next spring by a judge in Lincoln, Neb., for his behavior during an incident outside a bar last April. Dennard also was put on probation for two years and ordered to perform 100 hours of law enforcement-related community service, and he is barred from travel other than between Massachusetts and Nebraska or related to work with the Patriots (unless he gets approval from the court).
Dennard won’t serve his jail time until next March, and Lancaster County Judge Stephanie Stacy indicated there is the possibility that the term will be reduced or even suspended entirely. Either way, the sentence means Dennard will not miss any part of the season — or even training camp — with the Patriots.
Dennard faced a maximum of six years after being found guilty of three charges, including assaulting a police officer and resisting arrest, following a February trial.
Patriots coach Bill Belichick and Nebraska coach Bo Pelini wrote letters on Dennard’s behalf that were submitted to the court. Pelini accompanied Dennard to the sentencing.
“That wasn’t me at all,” Dennard said, according to the Lincoln Journal Star. Dennard apologized to coaches, fans and family.
Dennard, who was projected to be an early round pick, was selected by the Patriots in the seventh round last year, just days after the incident caused his stock to plummet. The University of Nebraska product had a solid rookie season, playing 10 games (starting seven) and recording 35 tackles and three interceptions.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Josh McDaniels to Return as Patriots OC: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Patriots Picked Perfect Time to Play Imperfect Football in Win over...
- Dion Lewis vs. Texans: Stats, Highlights and Reaction
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- In Better Shape Than Ever at Age 39: Here's How Tom Brady Does It
- NFL1000: Why New England's Defense Can Carry Belichick to Another Super...
- Patriots vs. Dolphins: Full Report Card Grades for New England