NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Oregon LB Kiko Alonso
|04.15.13 at 7:12 am ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that might be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2013 NFL draft. Here is one in a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Position: Outside linebacker
Weight: 238 pounds
Achievements: 2012 All-Pac-12 second team (coaches), 2011 Rose Bowl Defensive Player of the Game
What he brings: Draft analysts and scouts have mentioned Alonso’s versatility as a strength. He has the potential to play either inside or outside linebacker, depending on if the defense is in a 4-3 or 3-4 setup. It is being said that Alonso displays quickness, good timing in blitzes, high intensity and great effort. His quickness helps with tracking down and taking down backs on quick swings in the flats, but also has good football intelligence when playing in different coverage situations. One of Alonso’s greatest physical attributes is his athletic frame and good muscle definition.
Where the Patriots could get him: Round 2 or 3
Notes: In the 2011 Rose Bowl, Alonso made a career-high 1.5 sacks and 2.5 tackles for loss. … During 2011 winter testing, he posted the top mark among linebackers and third-best overall with a 380-pound bench press. … Alonso spent the 2010 season rehabbing from a knee injury suffered during the spring. He was suspended anyway for that season, due to a DUI arrest. The linebacker also sat out the 2011 season-opener. This came after he was arrested the day after the team’s spring game for breaking into an apartment and eventually passing out from intoxication. … Alonso was born in Newton but grew up in Los Gatos, Calif.
Video: Here’s a look at Alonso in action vs. USC during the 2012 season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?
- Rob Gronkowski Injury Update: TE Reportedly Will Miss 8 Weeks with Back...
- Marcus Cannon, Patriots Agree to New Contract: Latest Details and...
- Tom Brady Became 5th QB in NFL History to Throw for at Least 60,000 Yards
- Patriots vs. Jets: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Rob Gronkowski Injury: Updates on Patriots Star's Recovery from Back...
- Julian Edelman Injury: Updates on Patriots Star's Foot and Return