Good draft for defensive backs, offensive line and wide receiver, according to Patriots personnel chief Nick Caserio
|04.22.13 at 1:27 pm ET|
FOXBORO — If you’re looking for a versatile defensive back, this is a good draft, according to Patriots director of player personnel Nick Caserio.
In his pre-draft press conference at Gillette Stadium on Monday afternoon, Caserio was asked about some positions that might stand out above the rest when it comes to positions of strength in this year’s draft. Caserio singled out the elite defensive backs this year — particularly their versatility — as well as offensive line and wide receiver.
“There’s a lot of good productive players,” he said. “I think the secondary is an area, both the corners and the safety position. I think one of the things that is probably unique about that position is you’ve seen more players who have actually played multiple positions. Some have played safety. Some have played corner. Some have played the nickel position like the Matt Elam kid, so there’s versatile players in the defensive backfield. They’re not necessarily confined to one particular spot, which that probably speaks to the evolution.
“You’re looking for guys that are versatile, can play multiple spots, and some of those players have played in more passing-oriented divisions and conferences, the SEC with some of the spread offenses and those types of things. I think there’s some depth. I think there’s some versatility at that position.
“The offensive line is a good group. There’s some good players in that group, and there are a fair amount of receivers in that group as well. I would say every year we talk about the same thing. There are going to be more players at certain positions relative to others. That’s just the way it goes. You don’t necessarily evaluate the players any differently than you do on a year-to-year basis.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Anthony Johnson Released by Patriots: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Jacoby Brissett Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Thumb and Return
- Jacoby Brissett, QBs Making Their First Career Start Under Belichick Are...
- Shorthanded Patriots Send Emphatic Message That They Are Team to Beat in...
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Jacoby Brissett, Julian Edelman, LeGarrette Blount Post-Week 3 Fantasy...
- Despite Injuries, Patriots Already September's Biggest Winners in the NFL