NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Georgia DT Johnathan Jenkins
|04.22.13 at 7:12 am ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that might be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2013 NFL draft. Here is one is a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Position: Nose tackle
Weight: 346 pounds
Achievements: 2012 All-SEC second team (coaches)
What he brings: Jenkins stands out for his size — especially his width — and his strength, though his width does limit his mobility somewhat. When he positions himself well, he’s very difficult to move, and he’s played multiple positions on the Georgia defensive line. Some say he gets out-leveraged occasionally by smaller offensive linemen who get underneath him, and while his quickness is impressive for his massive size, it’s not particularly remarkable overall. He’s effective in battling through blocks to the quarterback, showing good technique and consistent effort as well as overpowering physical strength, but his main role is to clog up lanes and prevent the run.
Where the Patriots could get him: Round 2
Notes: Jenkins left Gulf Coast Community College as a highly regarded junior college prospect in 2009, landing at Georgia and appearing in 14 games in his first season. In his senior season, he made 50 tackles, two for a loss, and one sack. NFL.com projects him as a nose tackle in a 3-4 scheme.
Video: Here is a look at Jenkins vs. Alabama in the 2012 SEC championship game.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...
- 10 NFL Combine Participants New England Patriots Fans Should Know