Five players Patriots could reach for in first round of NFL draft
|04.24.13 at 2:27 pm ET|
So far, we’ve taken a look at players the Patriots might hope fall to them in the first round and players who would be good fits at No. 29. Wrapping up the 15-player series, here are five players the Pats could reach for at the end of the first round.
These players are in no particular order.
Datone Jones, DL, UCLA
He’s a good pass-rusher with good enough size at 6-foot-4 and 283 pounds. He has experience on the inside, but he’s probably a three-technique in the NFL.
Margus Hunt, DE, SMU
The second-most popular inexperienced foreign track athlete turned defensive end in this draft, right behind Ziggy Ansah, Hunt has a high ceiling as a pass-rusher, though he understandably lacks instincts at this point. The kicker: He stands at 6-foot-8 and a lean 277 pounds and ran a 4.60-second 40-yard dash.
Keenan Allen, WR, California
Allen had a miserable pre-draft process, as he’s dealt with knee and ankle issues, reportedly had suspiciously high levels of water in his system prior to drug tests at the combine and had 40 times of 4.71 seconds and 4.75 seconds (which means Margus Hunt is a good deal faster than him). That likely bumps him into the second-round conversation, though he does have better hands than some of the first-round prospects.
Johnthan Banks, CB, Mississippi State
The good: He’s big and physical. The bad: He’s big and slow. The 6-foot-2, 185-pounder’s lack of speed might outweigh his smarts and what he brings against the run.
Damontre Moore, DE, Texas A&M
A big-time faller who entered the pre-draft process with a top-10 grade but saw his stock take a mammoth tumble due to poor workouts at the combine and his pro day, Moore might not have the best motor, but he was believed to be one of the top pass-rushers in this draft for a reason.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Super Bowl 49 Champion Bryan Stork Retires from NFL at 26 Years Old
- Tom Brady Super Bowl 51 Jersey Theft Timeline Revealed on Video
- Photos of Tom Brady's Previously Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Revealed
- New England Patriots: Updated Draft Big Board After First Wave of Free...
- Tyler Gaffney Released by New England Patriots
- Tom Brady Issues Statement on Recovery of Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey
- Video of Alleged Suspect Stealing Tom Brady's Super Bowl 51 Jersey Aired...