NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Boise State CB Jamar Taylor
|04.24.13 at 7:12 am ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that might be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2013 NFL draft. Here is one is a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
School: Boise State
Weight: 192 pounds
Achievements: 2012 All-Mountain West first team (media, coaches)
What he brings: Taylor started every game in his senior year, bringing physical play, athleticism and impressive speed to Boise State’s defense. He’s shown the ability to play both man and zone coverage, excelling at the former, and he reads plays well, recognizing routes and anticipating passes. Observers have noted his fluid hips and ability to pursue receivers in motion. As an aggressive defender, he occasionally can be faked out and take an extra second to recover. He missed four full games and most of another in 2011 with a stress fracture in his leg, although after a full 2012 season in which he stayed healthy, that isn’t much of a concern. He hasn’t played press very often, and some scouts have speculated that he could struggle in that area.
Where the Patriots could get him: Round 2
Notes: In 2012 at Boise State, Taylor recorded 51 tackles, 3.5 for a loss, and 2.5 sacks. He also had nine pass breakups, four interceptions and three forced fumbles. He was a team captain in his senior year. He’s been praised for his work ethic, and while some aspects of his game need work, his instincts are good enough to make him one of the more highly sought-after cornerbacks in the draft.
Video: Here’s a look at Taylor in action from a couple of games in 2012.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Position-by-Position Breakdown of New England Patriots' Top Combine...
- Rob Gronkowski Says He Hopes Martellus Bennett 'Breaks the Bank' in Free...
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible