Patriots take Southern Mississippi pass-rusher Jamie Collins
|04.26.13 at 7:57 pm ET|
The Patriots made their first selection of the draft Friday night, taking Southern Mississippi outside linebacker Jamie Collins with the 52nd overall pick.
The former defensive back stands at 6-foot-3 4/8 and 250 pounds. He played defensive end and outside linebacker after moving up from the secondary. One interesting note on Collins: He played under three different defensive coordinators in his time in college.
Something to consider is that by no means was Collins projected to be a second-round pick, but then again Logan Mankins wasn’t a projected first-round pick. Either way, this should be considered a reach on paper.
The 52nd pick was acquired from the Vikings Thursday night in a deal that netted the Pats four picks in exchange for the 29th overall selection.
From ESPN’s Scouts Inc.’s scouting report:
Shows average awareness in underneath zone coverage. Above average backside discipline. However, below average natural instincts and takes too long to locate the ball. Gap discipline is an issue. Gets caught out of position far too much.
Scouts Inc. also questions his work ethic:
Above-average agility and closing burst for size. Closes down cutback lanes. Does not make as many plays in pursuit as speed/athleticism would indicate. Effort is biggest concern. Doesn’t chase like hair is on fire and appears to take some plays off.
For more on the Patriots, visit weei.com/patriots.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Aaron Hernandez May Be Cleared in Double-Murder Trial Due to Deleted Text
- Robert Kraft Comments on Tom Brady's Super Bowl Jersey Being Returned
- President Donald Trump to Host Patriots at White House on April 19
- Darrelle Revis Reportedly Expected to Return to Patriots If He Plays Next...
- Biggest Needs New England Patriots Have Yet to Address This Offseason
- Super Bowl 49 Champion Bryan Stork Retires from NFL at 26 Years Old
- Tom Brady Super Bowl 51 Jersey Theft Timeline Revealed on Video