Patriots select Illinois DE/OLB Michael Buchanan in seventh round
|04.27.13 at 6:30 pm ET|
FOXBORO — With the 226th pick in the seventh round of the draft on Saturday, the Patriots selected defensive end/linebacker Michael Buchanan out of Illinois. The 6-foot-5, 255-pounder had 161 tackles, 26 tackles for losses, and 14 sacks in 46 career games as a collegian at Illinois.
According to two sources, Patriots coach Bill Belichick flew out of Illinois earlier this month to put Buchanan through a workout. He does come with some baggage — he was involved in an off-field altercation recently that left him with a DUI charge broken jaw, which resulted in a 20-pound weight loss. Known for his versatility, he likely projects as an outside linebacker in the NFL.
For more Patriots news, check out weei.com/patriots.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Patriots vs. Rams: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Tom Brady Passes Peyton Manning for Most Wins All-Time by a QB
- Danny Amendola Injury: Updates on Patriots WR's Ankle and Return
- Tom Brady Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Knee and Return
- Alan Branch Wins Suspension Appeal: Latest Details and Reaction
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?
- Rob Gronkowski Injury Update: TE Reportedly Will Miss 8 Weeks with Back...