Patriots select Illinois DE/OLB Michael Buchanan in seventh round
|04.27.13 at 6:30 pm ET|
FOXBORO — With the 226th pick in the seventh round of the draft on Saturday, the Patriots selected defensive end/linebacker Michael Buchanan out of Illinois. The 6-foot-5, 255-pounder had 161 tackles, 26 tackles for losses, and 14 sacks in 46 career games as a collegian at Illinois.
According to two sources, Patriots coach Bill Belichick flew out of Illinois earlier this month to put Buchanan through a workout. He does come with some baggage — he was involved in an off-field altercation recently that left him with a DUI charge broken jaw, which resulted in a 20-pound weight loss. Known for his versatility, he likely projects as an outside linebacker in the NFL.
For more Patriots news, check out weei.com/patriots.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Donald Trump Addresses Robert Kraft, Tom Brady at Campaign Donors Dinner
- Patriots' No-Name Defense Has Started Making a Name for Itself
- Josh McDaniels to Return as Patriots OC: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Patriots Picked Perfect Time to Play Imperfect Football in Win over...
- Dion Lewis vs. Texans: Stats, Highlights and Reaction
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- In Better Shape Than Ever at Age 39: Here's How Tom Brady Does It