Patriots select Illinois DE/OLB Michael Buchanan in seventh round
|04.27.13 at 6:30 pm ET|
FOXBORO — With the 226th pick in the seventh round of the draft on Saturday, the Patriots selected defensive end/linebacker Michael Buchanan out of Illinois. The 6-foot-5, 255-pounder had 161 tackles, 26 tackles for losses, and 14 sacks in 46 career games as a collegian at Illinois.
According to two sources, Patriots coach Bill Belichick flew out of Illinois earlier this month to put Buchanan through a workout. He does come with some baggage — he was involved in an off-field altercation recently that left him with a DUI charge broken jaw, which resulted in a 20-pound weight loss. Known for his versatility, he likely projects as an outside linebacker in the NFL.
For more Patriots news, check out weei.com/patriots.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Garoppolo Comments on Opportunity to Start for Patriots
- Dion Lewis Injury: Updates on Patriots RB's Recovery from Surgery
- Should Patriots Give Brissett Chance to Start Week 1?
- Robert Kraft Releases Statement on Brady Not Continuing Deflategate...
- Tom Brady Accepts Deflategate Suspension, Won't Appeal to Supreme Court
- Excited by Absence of Brady, Pats' Rivals Likely to Be Disappointed Again
- Simmons Accuses Stephen A. of Blasting Brady for the NFL