Resetting depth chart for Patriots at defensive tackle
|05.15.13 at 5:21 pm ET|
The news that defensive tackle Kyle Love was released certainly shakes up one of the most intriguing spots on the roster for the Patriots, one we examined here as part of a piece on looming position battles: Who will see the most snaps opposite Vince Wilfork at defensive tackle?
It certainly appeared that Love had the inside track on the job after the Patriots decided to cut loose Brandon Deaderick earlier this week. But with the news of New England’s decision to move on from both Love and Deaderick, it looks like newcomers Tommy Kelly and Armond Armstead will be in line for a significant role in 2013.
As we wrote earlier on Wednesday, Armstead is a CFL export who brings some pass-rushing skills to the table (he had six sacks last season with Toronto) while Kelly is a veteran defensive lineman who also has shown an ability to get after the passer (he had a combined 14.5 sacks in 2011 and 2010).
Other possibilities at the spot include Marcus Forston, who is heading into his second season on the roster, as well as rookies Cory “Pork Chop” Grissom, Dewayne Cherrington and Joe Vellano.
2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2014 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- How Big of an Impact Will Easley Make for Pats?
- Patriots' Top Offseason Moves
- Assessing Every Patriots UDFA's Chances of Making the Roster
- Projecting Patriots' Roster Battles This Offseason
- Ranking Pats' Remaining Offseason Priorities
- Early Projections for Patriots' Final 53-Man Roster
- In-Depth Look at Each Pats Draft Pick