Reports: Back surgery for Rob Gronkowski?
|05.17.13 at 4:09 pm ET|
In an offseason filled with medical uncertainty for Rob Gronkowski, there is now news that the Patriots tight end recently underwent an MRI on his back to check on a disc issue he had dating back to last season, according to USA Today.
Gronkowski, who has reportedly had at least three surgeries on a broken left forearm — and could have two more before the start of training camp — had an MRI on his back on Thursday, according to Albert Breer of the NFL Network, and will now get a second opinion from back specialist Dr. Robert Watkins. According to Breer, at this point, surgery looks likely
One of the reasons the Patriots were able to get Gronkowski in the second round of the 2010 draft was because of his spotty injury history. The Arizona product had a serious back issue as a collegian — he missed the entire 2009 season with an spinal issue. As a result, he couldn’t perform at the combine, which likely hindered his draft status.
The back is just one small part of Gronkowski’s injury-dominated offseason. The 24-year-old suffered a broken forearm in a Week 11 win over the Colts, and later re-broke his arm in the postseason against the Texans. He will reportedly undergo a fourth surgery on the forearm next week to clear up an infection issue. If the infection hasn’t yet cleared, the NFL Network is reporting that a fifth surgery would almost certainly be needed, which would throw the start of Gronkowski’s season into serious doubt.
For more Patriots news, check out weei.com/patriots.
2016 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2016 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Patriots Long Snapper, May Leave Team to Fulfill Navy Duty
- Scarnecchia Has Tall Task Developing Pats' Young Offensive Line
- What Are Explanations for Patriots' Failure to Address Hole at RB?
- Patriots: Way-Too-Early 53-Man Roster and Depth Chart Predictions
- Kraft Comments on Brady's Deflategate Suspension Being Upheld
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 3 Predictions
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 2 Predictions