Report: Patriots spent $140K in guaranteed money on UDFAs this year
|05.21.13 at 11:06 pm ET|
The Patriots spent more guaranteed money on their undrafted free agents this year than any other team in the league, according to Brian McIntyre of Yahoo! Sports and NFL.com.
According to McIntyre, the Patriots apparently spent $140,000 in guaranteed money on their undrafted free agents. Wide receiver T.J. Moe (who had several other suitors) got the biggest payday, as the Mizzou product received a signing bonus of $8,000 and $22,000 in guaranteed base salary (regardless of whether or not he makes the final 53-man roster) for a total of $30,000 in guaranteed money.
In addition, according to McIntyre, several other UDFA’s also got sizable paydays. Nevada tight end Zach Sudfeld has a total of $17,000 in guaranteed money ($12,000 signing bonus and $5,000 base salary). Offensive tackle Elvis Fisher of Missouri got $15,000 in guaranteed money, while Kent State guard Josh Kline ($14,000), Tennessee fullback Ben Bartholomew ($10,000) and safety Kanorris Davis of Troy ($10,000) also got at least $10,000.
NFL teams are allowed to spend a maximum of $78,170 in signing bonuses on undrafted rookie free agents this offseason, but there are no limits to the amount of guaranteed money teams can include in deals signed by undrafted free agents.
Of course, big dollars for UDFA’s is nothing new for the Patriots. Last summer, they outbid several teams for the services of running back/return man Jeff Demps, guaranteeing him a whopping $211,000 ($200,000 base salary guarantee, $11,000 signing bonus), regardless of whether or not he made the final roster. Of course, Demps ended up spending the entire year on IR before wanting to play football part-time while also running track, so while a sizable payday for a UDFA is nice (and tells you something how that player may be regarded around the league), it’s no guarantee of future success.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...
- 10 NFL Combine Participants New England Patriots Fans Should Know