Bill Belichick on Tim Tebow: ‘A smart and talented player … we’ll see how it goes’
|06.11.13 at 11:36 am ET|
After giving a 45-second opening remark on the start of June minicamp outside Gillette Stadium, the Patriots coach was peppered with about three minutes of constant questions on the team’s signing of Tebow.
“Anything we do is what we feel is in the best interest of the team,” Belichick said. “Tim is a talented player that is smart and works hard so we’ll see how it goes.”
Then a political reporter from New Hampshire, among the local and national media throng that totaled over 50, asked how much was the attention a consideration in signing Tebow to a two-year deal.
“None. Try to do what is best for the team.”
What does Belichick think of the obvious fanfare and media attention that will follow the Patriots?
“In all honesty, we’ve been in front of bigger crowds than this before,” he said. “We’ll just keep doing what our job is. We’re going to try to get better as a football team, individually and collectively and that’s what we’re going to do.”
What position will Tebow be used?
“We’re going to do what we think is best for our football team,” Belichick said. “I don’t know. We’ll see. He’s a talented guy. He’s smart, works hard. We’ve all see him play. He can do a lot of things. We’ve seen that.”
Belichick said Tebow’s signing has no roster implications.
“I like Tim,” Belichick said. “I have a lot of respect for Tim. Never coached him before. Certainly a lot closer to the players I’ve coached before.
“Look, we have a team-full of players. Everybody has a job to do. I’m sure he’ll try to do it the best he can. We’ll try to do it the best we can.”
Then another question about distractions.
“Distractions?” Belichick said. “”Hopefully, there’ll be more than that at games on Sunday.”
What about Tebowing?
“We’ve already talked enough about him,” he said. “I think I’ve covered it.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Says He Hopes Martellus Bennett 'Breaks the Bank' in Free...
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...