Report: Rob Gronkowski will start preseason on PUP list
|06.19.13 at 2:22 pm ET|
Rob Gronkowski will start the preseason on the physically unable to perform list, according to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network.
Gronkowski (who underwent his fifth surgery of the offseason and sixth of the last 17 months on Tuesday) had a procedure on his back Tuesday that was described by Dr. Robert Watkins as “microscopic lumbar discectomy surgery.” It is the second back surgery of the last four years — as a collegian, he had back surgery which left him on the shelf for a season.
Gronkowski has also had four surgeries this offseason on his forearm for a broken bone and a subsequent infection issue.
The question now is whether or not Gronkowski would start the regular season on the PUP list, which would leave him sidelined for at least the first six games of the year. Much of that can be tied to the length of the rehab process, and as Watkins stated here, “The timing of his return to football will depend on his progression through the rehabilitation program.”
For more Patriots news, check out weei.com/patriots.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- How Big of an Impact Will Easley Make for Pats?
- Patriots' Top Offseason Moves
- Assessing Every Patriots UDFA's Chances of Making the Roster
- Projecting Patriots' Roster Battles This Offseason
- Ranking Pats' Remaining Offseason Priorities
- Early Projections for Patriots' Final 53-Man Roster
- In-Depth Look at Each Pats Draft Pick