Report: Arrest warrant issued for Aaron Hernandez
|06.21.13 at 6:12 am ET|
Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez will be arrested on a charge of obstruction of justice related to the homicide of Odin Lloyd, WBZ reported Friday morning, crediting a law enforcement source. The report indicates that more charges could eventually be added.
Lloyd’s body was found Monday in North Attleboro, less than a mile from Hernandez’s home. The 27-year-old Dorchester resident, who was dating the sister of Hernandez’s fiancee, was said to have been driving an SUV that had been rented in Hernandez’s name the night he was killed, and video shows the two together earlier in the evening, along with two other men.
An ABC News report indicates the security system at Hernandez’s home was intentionally destroyed along with the Patriots player’s cell phone, the remains of which were turned over to police. And a team of cleaners was seen leaving Hernandez’s house on Monday, before police searched the home.
Hernandez reportedly cooperated with investigators initially but stopped talking after hiring the Boston law firm of Ropes and Gray. Hernandez was spotted visiting the law firm Thursday after driving to Gillette Stadium, while tailed by a group of media. At Gillette, Hernandez was turned away by Patriots staff, according to team spokesman Stacey James, who told the Boston Herald he did not know why Hernandez showed up, noting, “No coaches are here.”
Hernandez also faces a lawsuit in Florida accusing him of shooting an acquaintance in the face while the two were in a car after an argument at a Miami strip club in February.
2016 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2016 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Patriots: Way-Too-Early 53-Man Roster and Depth Chart Predictions
- Kraft Comments on Brady's Deflategate Suspension Being Upheld
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 3 Predictions
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 2 Predictions
- Patriots Draft Picks: Results, Analysis and Grades
- Why the 1st Round of the 2016 NFL Draft Still Matters to Patriots
- Patriots Last-Minute 7-Round Mock Draft and Top-100 Big Board